Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Wrapping Up

The summer is coming to a close here in Moscow. The weather is cooling down which is great because my flat does not have air conditioning. The cool weather is also good for the metro. It can get really hot down in the metro during the hot spells. (The metro in Moscow is mostly deep underground.) Yes, believe it or not it can get hot in Moscow. There were a periods of a couple weeks when the temperature was over 90 degrees. This doesn't seem too hot, but when many of the older apartment buildings and the metro do not have air conditioning...look out. Well, I don't want to make it seem that there is no air conditioning here. Most office buildings, hotels, and modern apartment buildings have air conditioning. Unfortunately, I live in an older apartment building, and they typically do not have air conditioning.


(This is a picture of Victory Park where Hitler's army was stopped.)




During this summer I have noticed something interesting with the people in Moscow and their reaction to drafts in metro or in a building or a breeze of air while outside. In general they do not like drafts. They fear drafts will bring sickness, even if it is 85 or 90 degrees outside. It is amazing to see people wear jackets or sweaters inside the metro while I sweat. They will also turn off the air conditioning in the offices at work. Maybe I'm crazy, but usually when the body sweats it means that the body is trying to cool itself down. It's also funny because I would expect the opposite from people in Moscow who have 6 months of cold winter. I would expect them to break out the bathing suits when it is 65 degrees. Of course, this is just in general. There are many Russian people I see that do not wear jackets or sweaters when it is hot outside.


Also, the hot water has been turned back on in the building where I live; however, I am continuing to take ice-cold showers. Again, my apartment doesn't have air conditioning, so when I take the ice-cold showers it is the only time when I am not hot at my apartment. There is a special technique when taking an ice-cold shower that limits the amount of pain and/or shock to the body. The following steps are the special technique:
First, point the showerhead to the wall, so when you get in the shower it does not immediately spray you. Next, get into the shower and stand away from the water. Third, put only your legs and arms in the ice-cold water first. Once your legs and arms are numb, then use your hands to gentle splash small amounts of ice-cold water on your body. Once your body gets acclimated to the ice-cold water (Really your body never gets completely acclimated. The water will just feel cold and not ice-cold.), it is time for the big move - put your whole body under the shower.

My Russian is getting much better. I have completed 3 months of intensive Russian courses. My communication breakdowns are not happen as often. I understand much more. The communication wall that stands between the Russian people and me is getting shorter. It's a really cool feeling to be able to communicate. My confidence is increasing too.








(This is a picture of a metro train and the doors of doom.)

Now let me tell you about my experiences in the metro over the past 2 months. One day I was going home after my last English lesson of the evening. I sat down on the bench in the metro train, and started to read my Russian book for the trip home. In the metro trains, a voice announces on the speakers when the doors for the train will open and close. Well, I heard the voice over the speakers that the doors for the train will be closing soon. Right at this moment a man sitting to my left stood up and decided he wanted to exit the train immediately. This when I noticed he was extremely drunk. He could hardly stagger towards to the doors. As he was falling forward to pass through the threshold of the doors on the train, the doors slammed shut - on his head! There was nothing to impede the doors shutting on his head. For example, he didn't put his hands up, or slide his shoulder between the doors. This was nothing but his head and the two doors slamming together. The doors opened slightly two times and slammed back on his head. With his delayed reaction, he jolted backwards, stumbled, fell down, and sat on his butt. He was not hurt. He didn't have cuts on his head. He stayed there until the next metro stop. At the next stop, he successfully exited the train. It is important to note that the doors on the metro trains in Moscow do not gingerly shut. These babies slam together with force. The only thing on the doors that slightly help to cushion a hit is the rubber seal on the ends of each door. Regardless, when these babies close it will not feel like soft balls of cotton. I could not believe what I just saw. I started to laugh so hard. I did not even try to hold back. The lady across the idles also laughed. The funny thing is that he probably didn't feel a thing nor remember anything about it. I laughed the entire way home.








(This is picture of an escalator down in the metro. You feel like you are going down into the center of the earth.)

The second metro experience occurred while I was traveling to my last evening class. I was waiting in line down in the metro to get on the escalator that takes you up to the metro exit. As I was waiting I noticed two men jogging down the metro. (The rule when on the escalators in the metro is to stand on the right and allow people to pass on the left. Sometimes people run down the escalators.) Well, these two men were jogging down the escalators. One was in front of the other. I guess the man in front was not jogging down the steps fast enough because I saw the man behind him push him. The man in front obviously did not appreciate this. He yelled something in Russian to him. I could not understand what he said, but I'm sure it was not something nice. Well, about five steps later the man in back pushes the first man again...a hard push. Now, the first man is really pissed off. He stops and turns around and yells at him. Again I didn't understand anything. So the man in front continues to jog down the stairs, but at a faster pace. Once the first man reached the bottom he turned around, lifted his arms and waited in the classic boxer's stance for the second man. Ohh...it was on now! I knew a fight was emanate, so I stepped out of line. Next, I looked up for the second man. The second man was not even fazed. He ran right down the steps to meet the first man waiting. When the second man reached the bottom of the escalator they immediately began to fight. They started to punch each other and wrestle, but it didn't last long because two grandmothers stepped between them. They didn't want to hit the grandmothers, so they stopped fighting. It was great! Now this is a way to add some spice to your daily commute in the metro.


Of course it would not be a worthy blog entry without my lessons learned. So below are the lessons learned:

Don't decide to exit the metro train at the last second while being severely intoxicated. You could get your head smashed in the door.


Don't push another man while walking down the escalator in the metro because you might go to fist-to-cuffs with the man at the bottom of the escalator.





(This is a picture of the amazing architecture down in the metro stations.)


Along with the summer coming to an end, my time in Moscow is coming to an end. I am returning back to America at the end of August. At the end of August will have lived here for 8 months. It is a pity because I can really see my Russian rapidly improving. However, I am ready to return home to my family and friends. From my travels around Moscow to my travels to other neighboring countries, I have had a great adventure. I have enjoyed teaching my students, and my students are also my friends. I will keep in contact with them. I will also continue to study Russian. It is one of my life goals to speak a second language. My time here in Moscow has been a wonderful, memorable experience. The Russian people are very warm and kind. Everyone at the school and my students has been very helpful. They are always willing to help the crazy American from Texas.


-Till the next adventure

No comments: