Thursday, February 22, 2007

6 Weeks Completed

Now I have lived in Moscow for 6 weeks. The time is going by fast. I'm in my routine. I know where all the companies are located. I know what metro stations to go to. Also, the security guards at the companies know me too, so that is cool. They just let me walk in, and don't ask me tons of questions. They just say to themselves, "There's that crazy American teacher."

Even though I am in a routine now, I am still confused everyday, all day. My Russian is slowly improving. Honestly, I wish it would improve faster. I'm taking a Russian class twice a week. I also study my Russian on my own almost every night. It would be wonderful to know what people are talking about as I walk by them. Sometimes it can be frustrating not understanding simple conversation taking place around you. Many times when the people talk it is like a fast mumble of words that blend together. I listen really hard to understand. Shoot, most of the time I just try to listen for the verb so I know what action may or may not happen. I believe these feelings are the usual pains one must go through when trying to learn a second language. I'm working through it.


This is a picture of the building that I live in. My flat is the balcony with the green plastic wrapped around it. It is on the 4th floor in the middle column on balconies on the left side of the picture. I've never gone out on the balcony because it looks very unstable.

Well, it is official. I have slipped on ice and fallen down in the streets of Moscow. It was a tricky patch of ice. When I walk I am always scanning the sidewalks and streets for shiny patches. Watch out because the shiny patches are ice. However, I did not see this patch on the sidewalk because it was covered by some snow. So, I was walking to the metro station close to my flat early in the morning. It was around 7:00 in the morning. I was going to my first lesson of the day. I took a step and dropped like a lead balloon. Don't worry; I sprung back up like a puma. I immediately looked around to see if anyone saw me hit the ground. (Never mind that I could be hurt. We're talking about public humiliation here.) I was lucky because there were just two ladies walking about 30 yards behind me. I could see that they were giggling. It could have been much worse though. This sidewalk is the main sidewalk that leads to the metro station. During the afternoon and evening, this sidewalk is packed with people. I wasn't hurt, but after about 15 seconds of walking I started laughing at myself. I can only imagine how funny I looked when I hit the ground.

Some of the great food/candy I have tried since moving here:

The Big Datskee Hot Dog - Yes, that's right. They make a mean hot dog here in Moscow. They sell these all over the city in these little kiosks on the side of the street. I tell you what there is nothing like a Big Datskee Hot Dog after a night at a bar or after a cold day of walking around the streets. I'm not sure what "Datskee" means, but I think it might mean..."Hmmm good." They have the usual toppings like ketchup, mustard, and pickles. What makes them so good is the chopped up, fried onions they sprinkle on the hot dog as they remove it from the oven. It has the equivalent impact of the two pickles on the Chic-fil-a sandwich. They provide that extra push over for the edge..."when you need to go one louder...to eleven."

Chicken Shnitzel - I have eaten this dish at a couple restaurants, but there is one cafe in particular that makes it extra special. This dish is grilled chicken wrapped up with a fried egg. The Coffee Den adds cheese with the eggs to make it so delicious. Now, I am sure this dish is also made in America, but I just haven't had it before until here.

Kondeterskaya Fabrika Chocolate Bar - Wow...how do I describe this amazing chocolate bar. There are no almonds or anything like that. (There are many different kinds that do have almonds and other nuts.) It is a milk chocolate bar, but there isn't too much chocolate. I personally like chocolate to not be too heavy and rich. It is about 40% chocolate. What makes it so great is that somehow when they bake the chocolate they put tiny air bubbles all in the chocolate. What is so great about this is that when you bite into the bar it just gently breaks apart into your mouth. The chocolate isn't too strong and overwhelming, so it is just a little piece of heaven. I can't help myself. I eat one bar every two or three days. I need to eat these damn things. Ohh...what have I done? I need to go to the refrigerator and grab a bar right now and eat it.

4 comments:

ariele post said...

hi, I am so glad you are enjoying yourself. Please be sure to update this often. Miss you!

Ariele

Natasha said...

"Datskiy" probably means Danish. Unless, it's "Detskiy", which of course would mean "childrens' "!

When I was in Copenhagen, I saw similar hot dog stands all over the city. I am guilty myself of eating a few hot dogs (each day)! However, I can't recall eating fried onions. Must be a Moscow thing.

Unknown said...

Almost two months and you're still alive, ears in tact and all! (Is that a record for you? The fall...not too bad based on some of the stories you told me when you were here) You seem to be coming along nicely. I'm sure it's difficult, but if you just hang in there and keep fighting, you will definitly get it!

I have to admit...I'm a little jealous of the chocolate bars. You hit my weak spot with that one!

Good Luck!

ps Love the references to the movies intertwinded to your Russian memoirs

ariele post said...

so have you met any cool russian ladies :)